Digital Access Continuum for Distance Learning
The MDE created this Digital Access Continuum infographic to show the approaches districts could take to support distance learning based on their capacity to reach students. Distance learning looks different from district to district, and there is not a one-size-fits-all approach. Districts are encouraged to consider all feasible options to help students continue learning at home.
Tech Master Scholars Waiver
The Mississippi Economic Council (MEC) approved a waiver request for determining 2019-20 Tech Master Scholars.
This waiver only applies to the Class of 2020 and includes the following provisions:
- Community Service: The number of required hours is reduced to 30.
- CPAS: A CPAS Year 2 score isn’t required. Students must earn a passing score on CPAS Year 1 or an industry credential.
- Attendance: The attendance calculation may be based on where a student was prior to school closure.
- ACT WorkKeys/ASVAB: This requirement is waived for this year.
- ACT: The ACT requirement is still 18 but districts may continue to award Tech Master Scholar designation throughout the Summer so June ACT scores may be considered.
Schools may send orders for Tech Master Scholar awards to firstname.lastname@example.org and she’ll mail certificates and medallions to districts.
MDE Webinars: Review of State Board of Education Actions
The MDE will host two webinars on Friday, April 3, 2020, to review the State Board of Education actions taken on March 26, 2020, related to assessment, accountability, graduation requirements, course grades and licensure requirements.
- COVID19 Changes Impacting Accountability, Assessment, Graduation, and Course Grades
Friday, April 3, 2020
9:00 – 10:00 a.m.
No registration required. Use this link to join the webinar at 9 a.m. April 3.
- COVID19 Changes Impacting Licensure and Educator Preparation Programs
Friday, April 3, 2020
10:30 – 11:30 a.m.
No registration required. Use this link to join the webinar at 10:30 a.m. April 3.
The format of the webinars will be similar to the March 26 SBE meeting, which is currently available online. In addition to an overview of SBE actions, MDE staff will address questions submitted in advance.
District staff should view the meeting March 26 SBE meeting and review board items prior to sending questions to the MDE. Questions related to the SBE action can be emailed to email@example.com prior to 3:00 p.m., Wednesday, April 1, 2020. Questions will be posted to the Guidance and FAQ section of the MDE website, online at www.mdek12.org/COVID19.
MDE COVID-19 Updates, Information and Q&A Web Page
Please be sure to check the MDE COVID-19 Information webpage for updates, information and Q&A on key topics. We regularly add guidance, answers to questions and links to our daily update email. Daily updates are also posted in the Administrator News section of the EdUpdate email newsletter.