The Mississippi Department of Education’s Office of Elementary Education and Reading, Division of Literacy, is announcing an opportunity for district administrators, principals, lead teachers, and instructional coaches (K-5) to attend a one day, in-person professional development training titled Science of Reading in the Classroom: Implementing HQIM. This professional development will explore the relationship between High-Quality Instructional Materials (HQIM), the Science of Reading (SOR), and the Structured Literacy Approach to instruction.
Training schedule is Jan. 23 in Oxford, Feb. 1 in Jackson, and Feb. 13 in Hattiesburg.
Part 1 Focus: (morning) Whole Group Professional Learning
- Understand the need for HQIM
- Overview of the criteria of HQIM
- Familiarize yourself with the process for selecting HQIM
- Gain knowledge on how to support teachers in implementing HQIM
Part 2 Focus: (afternoon) Curriculum Specific Workshop Breakout Sessions
*Participants need to bring a teacher’s edition and accompanying materials needed to plan.
(MyView, Wonders, Wit and Wisdom, Into Reading)
- Resource Dive: What materials are available?
- Preparation and Planning
- Instructional Routines
- Strategic Assessment Guidance
- Standards-Aligned Practices
See flyer for details and to register. Science of Reading Implementing HQIM (1)