The Literacy Coach Academy of Mississippi (LCAM) is a learning pathway offered by the Mississippi Department of Education, Division of Literacy, for fundamental training and certification in literacy coaching. The purpose of the program is to prepare K-5 school- and district-based literacy coaches to support teachers, paraprofessionals, and administrators in the implementation of literacy best practices grounded in the Science of Reading.
Upon participant selection and acceptance to this exclusive academy, K-5 literacy coaches will receive guidance and support to refine and enhance their coaching craft.
- gain intensive training in the aspects of a successful literacy coaching model;
- receive knowledge building grounded in the Science of Reading (SoR);
- increase capacity in the Structured Literacy approach to support teachers in lesson delivery grounded in the Science of Reading;
- observe and model content to better transfer to their coaching practices;
- join a cohort of school- and district-based literacy coaches that will serve as a professional learning community;
- receive actionable feedback and guidance during on-site visits and virtual classes;
- earn continuing education credits (CEUs, SEMIs, or OSLs) required for Mississippi Educator License recertification.
Participants who complete the requirements of the academy will receive a Mississippi Department of Education Certificate for Literacy Coaching. As the program is currently not for licensure endorsements, the certification will provide participants in-depth training in literacy content and the fundamentals of literacy coaching, opportunities for application of learned content, and school districts with proof of literacy coach training. A district commitment is required in the application for entry into the academy. The application window for the academy will close at 5:00 p.m. on Wednesday, March 1, 2023. Applications received after the deadline will not be considered for review. Additional information can be found here. For questions regarding the academy, please contact Dr. Jennifer West at firstname.lastname@example.org.
District Commitment Form: http://bit.ly/3R4OId1
Academy Application: https://forms.gle/7nU3TV9FVcwJEMuR7
Additional Information: https://bit.ly/LCAMinfo