As school closures continue and as the state develops plans to direct resources to the areas of greatest need, the MDE has prepared two brief surveys for districts to circulate: one to their families, the other to their teachers, administrators and other staff who are/will be working from home. The surveys focus on devices at home, home internet access, and the quality/reliability of that connection.
Aggregated results from districts will be shared with the governor’s office for planning purposes. Because of the critical nature of these questions – and how the results will shape state policy to address the internet connectivity challenges across the state – please do your best to reach as many families as possible and to achieve as high as response rate as possible. Teachers and school district employee who live outside of the district where they work should indicate on the survey the district where they live. This will provide a more accurate picture of where internet access gaps exist across the state.
The MDE prepared two different formats of the surveys. You may choose the approach best suited to your district. If you have any questions, please contact MDE’s Chief Information Officer, John Kraman at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Option 1: Fillable PDF Survey
You can print the surveys and distribute them as hard copies, you can email them and collect them electronically, or you can cut and paste the questions into a different survey method your district prefers.
- Please email your compiled results using this response spreadsheet by 5 p.m., Thursday, May 14, to email@example.com
- This approach will require you to collect and tally the results. The spreadsheet has one tab for family results and second for teacher results.
- While using the fillable PDF (or the questions from it) will require the extra step of compiling responses, you will be able to monitor results and help your families and teachers complete it.
- Family Survey (PDF Version)
- Spanish-Language Family Survey (PDF Version)
- Teacher Survey (PDF Version)
Option 2: Web-based Survey
You can send the links to your families and teachers for them to fill out using a computer or smart phone. Responses will go directly to the MDE.
- Please ask your families and teachers/staff to complete the survey by 5 p.m., Thursday, May 14.
- This approach will leave the compiling of responses to the MDE.
- While using the web-based survey will save you the step of compiling results, you will not have the ability to monitor results and help your families and teachers complete it.
- Family Survey (Web Version)
- Spanish-Language Family Survey (Web Version)
- Teacher Survey (Web Version)