The Mississippi Department of Education, in conjunction with the Southern Regional Education Board (SREB), will be hosting a three-day training on January 9 to January 11, 2019, for the 12th grade ELA and Math SREB Readiness and Essentials for College courses. Additional trainings will take place at the end of July 2019 for educators that will be teaching the course in the 2019-2020 school year.
The January sessions will take place at DeSoto County School District Services Building (5 E. South Street, Hernando, MS) from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. each day. Doors open at 8:00 a.m., with lunch on your own at approximately 12:00 p.m.
To register for either the ELA or math training, please click on the link provided here https://gsmu.mdek12.org. If you do not have a GoSignMeUp account, you will need to register for one prior to registering for the course.
- All educators must review the State Board of Education policy governing educator and school requirements for these courses prior to registration. (Attached)
- Due to limited seating, these trainings are being offered specifically for educators that meet all of the following criteria:
- Have not been previously trained and will be teaching either course during the Spring 2019 semester.
- Hold a valid 154 (math) or 119 (ELA) endorsement prior to registration. Each educator must bring a copy of their license on Day 1 of the training.
- Ability to attend all three days of the training.
This event is being funded with state and/or federal funds and is being provided for employees of school districts, employees of the Mississippi Department of Education and Department contractors. Mississippi Constitution Article 4, Section 66 prohibits governing authorities from making donations. According to the Mississippi Attorney General, once the federal funds are turned over to the state, the rules for the expenditure of state funds apply. Based on the Mississippi law, this event is not being provided for third party vendors or external providers.
For questions regarding these trainings, please email Dr. Marla Davis, Bureau Director, Office of Secondary Education, at email@example.com.