The Mississippi Department of Education is seeking an experienced, professional Executive Director to oversee all operations, functions, and activities at the Mississippi School for Mathematics and Science (MSMS). MSMS is a residential high school located on the campus of the Mississippi University for Women. MSMS provides an accelerated, immersive curriculum for the state’s gifted and talented 11th and 12th grade students. The ideal candidate will have the skills and confidence needed to be the face of MSMS, shouldering the responsibility of providing school-wide strategic direction and implementing a progressive vision for the future.
Duties and responsibilities include exhibition of leadership; coordinating long- and short-range planning; development and implementation of policies; providing direction with respect to financial, personnel, academic, admissions, and student services matters; serving as a liaison between school and government agencies; and coordinating public relations initiatives.
The Executive Director should possess the following:
- At least three-years of executive leadership experience.
- Experience with and/or evidence of successful advocacy for gifted students.
- Experience developing partnerships with civic/community organizations, business/industry, government entities, and other stakeholders.
- Experience in school budget review, planning, forecasting, and implementation/evaluation.
- Experience leading a school through a rigorous accreditation process.
- Evidence of innovation and/or creative initiatives or solutions.
- Experience in school planning such as conducting needs assessments, direct long- and short -range planning, policy oversight, administering personnel processes, making staff assignments, and supervising work.
- Experience maintaining buildings and facilities to provide programs that promote safety, maximize educational utility, and comply with governmental regulations.
- Interpersonal skills, including the ability to communicate effectively as well as provide ongoing outreach efforts.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Advanced degree, doctorate preferred, in education, management, public policy, or a related field.
- A Master’s Degree from an accredited four-year college or university in Education;
- Five (5) years of experience in Educational Administration;
- Possession of a valid class “AA” Certification from the Mississippi Department of Education in Area 486 (School Administration).
- Candidates must meet the requirement for superintendent as referenced in Miss. Code Ann. § 37-9-13.
To apply for the Executive Director position, please submit a resume and statement of interest (no more than two pages) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include references. Annual salary for this 12-month position is $110,000 – $115,000 with benefits, commensurate with experience. The deadline for applications is September 30, 2021.