The Mississippi Department of Education’s Office of Elementary Education and Reading, Division of Literacy is announcing the Strong Readers! professional development series as its spring professional learning opportunity for coaches, teachers, paraprofessionals, and school and district level leaders.
The goal of the series is to provide Mississippi educators with an opportunity to gain a better understanding of the Science of Reading (SoR)and the implementation through a Structured Literacy Model of Instruction.
During these spring trainings, teachers, coaches, paraprofessionals, and school and district administrators will develop an understanding of implementation of the Science of Reading through a Structured Literacy Model of Instruction. The training places emphasis on effective literacy instruction aligned to the SoR.
As we continue the momentum of improving literacy and learning outcomes for all students, sessions will focus on the following strands:
- Grade Bands K-2: “Building Strong Readers”
- Beyond Buzzwords
- Filling Foundational Gaps in Tier 1 Instruction
- Oral Language and Vocabulary
- Grade Bands 3-5: “Growing Strong Readers”
- In Their Shoes
- Advanced Phonics Instruction
- Manipulating Morphemes
- Paraprofessionals: “Supporting Strong Readers”
- Comprehension is an Outcome, Not a Strategy
- Sound Walls
- Beyond the Flashcards- Sight Word Reading is Not Flashcard Reading
This professional development series will be offered in multiple locations across the state. Please click on the series title above to register for series of your choice.