Design and Implement Summer Programs
- Best Practices for Comprehensive Summer School Programs – This report discusses best practices for summer learning and describes how districts can structure summer enrichment, acceleration, and transition programs.
- Effective Program Design for Elementary Summer Learning Programs – This report investigates the impact of summer programs on student learning outcomes, discusses the features of effective summer programs for elementary school students, and outlines strategies for evaluating summer programs.
- Best Practices for Learning Loss Recovery – This report explores research-based supports for student academic recovery from learning lost due to COVID-19 pandemic-related school closures. This report examines approaches to adding learning time within the structure of the regular academic calendar (e.g., school year, school days, and periods) and existing extended learning opportunities (e.g., after-school programs, acceleration academies, summer school).
Evaluate Summer Programs
- Summer Learning Program: Logic Model and Evaluation Framework – This document outlines a recommended framework for evaluating summer school programming with respect to the fidelity of implementation, impact on student outcomes, and stakeholder satisfaction. The evaluation framework leverages multiple research methodologies, including survey research, qualitative research, and data analysis.
- Summer School Survey – This survey instrument gathers feedback from students, parents, and staff members on summer school programming, including satisfaction with facilities and resources and perceptions of program quality and impact on student preparedness for the upcoming school year. The survey instrument also explores program accessibility and potential barriers to participation.