The Mississippi Department of Education (MDE) has partnered with Education Preparation Providers (EPPs) across the state to offer seven additional in-person training sessions from July 29 through Aug. 29 following the June release of the new Mathematics Instructional Observation Protocol (MIOP) for Mississippi grades 3-12 public schools. The MIOP provides key indicators and evidence of effective practice that administrators should look for when conducting observations, such as “Learning Walks” or “Walk-Throughs,” of a mathematics classroom.
Registration for all sessions is now open and will close three days prior to the event. To register or for more information on the events listed below visit: GoSignMeUp.
These sessions are open to LEA school administrators, math content leads, math coaches, administrator and educator preparation instructors, administrator and educator program candidates, and other mathematics instructional stakeholders.
NOTE: Administrators are encouraged to attend with their math content lead, though it is not a requirement for attendance.
Dates and locations of training:
- July 29 – William Carey University
- Aug. 1 – Woolfolk State Building
- Aug. 2 – Belhaven University
- Aug. 15 – Woolfolk State Building
- Aug. 23 – Delta State University
- Aug. 26 – Alcorn State University
- Aug. 29 – Woolfolk State Building
Additional training details:
- Time: 9:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. (Lunch on your own from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.)
- Facilitator: Tommisha Johnson, Ed.S., State K-12 Mathematics Director
- Session Materials & Technology Requirement: Bring a device (laptop or tablet) to access session materials
- CEUs and SEMIs available
To share this information, click here for a flyer.
Additional training sessions on the MIOP will occur throughout the 2022-2023 school year.
If you have any questions regarding the training or the MIOP, contact Tommisha Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org.