The Mississippi Department of Education (MDE) is encouraging students to read over the summer by visiting their public libraries and by practicing their skills with engaging games and lessons found on the MDE’s Summer of Learning website – https://mdek12.org/LearningAtHome.
Check out these tips:
- Have the student select a fiction book from your local library.
- Discuss with him/her what he/she already knows about the topic of the book.
- Create a daily personal reading time for the student.
- Brightly Storytime: Brightly features read-aloud and flip-along videos to keep kids connected to books while improving vocabulary and reading comprehension skills. (PreK – 3rd)
- Find a Book: Find a Book is a book search that connects students with books based on their reading levels and interests. (K – 12th)
- Storyline Online: Children’s books read online with added animation and sound effects. Many books also feature activity guides for parents. (PreK – 3rd)