As we approach the end of the 2020 – 2021 school year, be reminded that the following policies remain in effect for the 2020 – 2021 school year:
- Districts must establish graduation requirements for the 2020 – 2021 school year prior to the first day of school. Those requirements must meet the state’s minimum graduation requirements.
- Local school boards shall establish criteria for the academic promotion/progression/retention of students for the 2020 – 2021 school year prior to the first day of school.
- Local school boards shall establish uniform grading policies for the 2020 – 2021 school year prior to the first day of school.
Mississippi state law requires an approved universal screener to be administered to Kindergarten through Grade 3 students three times per year. Universal screeners are used to identify students needing targeted instructional and intervention support throughout the year. Screeners should not be used for promotion, retention (MS Code 37-23-16), or to determine students’ grades.
As you begin planning summer learning opportunities, consider the following resources to assist in the development of instructional supports for students.
- Universal Screener and K-Readiness Considerations Document
- Universal Screener Companion Guide
- 3rd grade Summative Assessment Guidance
- Summer Learning and Enrichment Collaboration Collection
- Considerations for Mississippi Summer Planning
We look forward to our continued collaboration with your district and school(s).