The MDE has updated and added resources to the Literacy-Based Promotion Act Communication Toolkit and the family-friendly Strong Leaders=Strong Leaders website to help districts and schools communicate with families and communities about the expectations of Mississippi’s K-3 literacy law. The toolkit includes an updated sample letter to parents that emphasizes that 3rd graders need to reach a higher benchmark starting this school year to qualify for promotion to 4th grade.
We encourage you to adapt these resources to your needs and share them with your community to ensure they are informed about the higher expectations for students.
Toolkit resources include:
- Mississippi Literacy-Based Promotion Act Key Messages
- Frequently Asked Questions for K-3 Parents
- Sample Letter to Parents About Mississippi Literacy-Based Promotion Act
- Sample Parental Notification Letter About Supplemental Support
- 3rd Grade Reading Assessment Key Information and Testing Dates
- 3rd Grade Reading Standards for Parents and Teachers
- Literacy-Based Promotion Act Flow Chart
- Mississippi Literacy-Based Promotion Act Information for Educators
The toolkit also includes animated informational videos you may post to your website, share via social media or show during parent meetings. Topics include: