The Mississippi Department of Education’s Summer of Learning website offers student-friendly current event resources. To start your student’s summer of learning, visit https://mdek12.org/LearningAtHome.
For this activity you’ll need: Newspaper, magazine, or virtual current event resources
- Have the student select a current event that he/she would like to learn more about.
- Discuss with him/her what he/she already knows about the topic.
- Use magazines or newspapers from the local library or use digital resources to find more about the topic.
Resources: (For login information, please see your student’s teacher or school administrator.)
- Newsela: Newsela provides content specifically to enhance, engage, and extend the English Language Arts standards. (3rd – 12th)
- News-O-Matic: This news site publishes daily articles which include numerous multimedia features to help keep students engaged. (K – 8th)