The Mississippi Department of Education’s Summer of Learning website and local public libraries offer numerous resources and activities to support the Summer Reading Program: Ocean of Possibilities. To start your student’s summer of learning, visit https://mdek12.org/LearningAtHome.
Here’s what you would need for this STEAM (science, technology, engineering, arts and mathematics) activity: seashells (various sizes), googly eyes, hot glue gun, and paint
- Pick a large shell that will be the body of the tropical fish and smaller shells for tails and fins
- Paint the different shells
- Once dried, glue on the tails, fins, and googly eyes
- Visit Discovery Education to watch videos about oceans
- Discovery Education: Students can take virtual field trips, conduct STEM activities, or listen to podcasts using Discovery Education. (K – 6th) (For login information, please see your student’s teacher or school administrator.)
- PBS Learning Media: Find all sorts of STEAM activities for students from PBS. Activities are sorted by grades, subjects, relevance and popularity.