Greetings Superintendents, Curriculum Coordinators, Federal Programs Directors, Special Education Directors, and Principals:
We are pleased to announce that the Mississippi Department of Education will begin statewide implementation of the Algebra Nation platform in all Mississippi public school districts during the 2018-19 school year as a result of a $500,000 appropriation from the Mississippi Legislature. Piloted in a number of districts over the last two years, the Algebra Nation platform includes custom-developed Algebra 1 resources, supports, student performance reports, and professional development for teachers. Student resources include the following:
- consumable student workbooks;
- on-demand, student-selected study experts based on varied learning styles;
- a moderated student collaboration platform;
- independent resources for at-home use; and
- MAAP-aligned test preparation tools.
- To ensure all district and secondary school leadership staff receive adequate training for effective local implementation, training will occur in two phases. Phase one will include training for all district leadership as described below.
Phase I: Algebra Nation District Leadership Training
Attendees: District Superintendents, Principals, Assistant Principals, MSIS Coordinators, and Curriculum Directors ONLY
Date: July 23, 2018
Time: 3:00p – 5:30p
Location: Vicksburg Convention Center (Vicksburg, MS)
Room: Exhibit Hall
Conference: Elevate Teacher Conference
Technology: Bring an electronic device (e.g. laptop, iPad, etc.)
- Districts that implemented Algebra Nation during the 2017-2018 (pilot year 2) school year are not required to attend.
- If you are already registered for the Elevate Teacher Conference, you will need to register separately to attend the Algebra Nation training.
Phase II: Algebra Nation Teacher Training
Phase II of the statewide implementation will include eight (8) regional trainings for Algebra I teachers ONLY, scheduled between August 1 and September 14, 2018. Training locations and additional details regarding these trainings will be announced in the coming weeks.
For your convenience, an overview of the Algebra Nation platform with year-one pilot data has been attached to this email. Please feel free to share this information with your staff.
If you have any questions regarding this information, please contact Dr. Marla Davis, Bureau Director, Office of Secondary Education, at email@example.com.
Nathan Oakley, Ph.D., Executive Director
Office of Elementary Education and Reading
MISSISSIPPI DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION
P.O. Box 771 | Jackson, MS | 39205-0771
Tel 601-359-2586 | Fax 601-359-2040
All emails sent to the superintendents listserv will be posted in the Administrator News section of the EdUpdate. Emails will remain posted for 90 days and then will be archived.